WASHINGTON — The National Mall is a unique place to celebrate Independence Day. If you’re still deciding whether it’s worth the trip downtown, here’s some of what you’ll need to know before you go:
- Fireworks: 9:09 — 9:27 p.m.
- Security checkpoints for the National Mall open at 10 a.m.; the rain date is July 5.
- Smithsonian Folklife Festival: 11 a.m. — 5:30 p.m., inside and outside the National Museum of the American Indian along the National Mall between 3rd and 4th Streets.
- Fourth of July Parade: 11:45 a.m.-2 p.m., Constitution Avenue NW from 7th to 17th streets.
- A Capitol Fourth Concert: 8 — 9:30 p.m.
- Security checkpoints for the Capitol’s West Lawn open at 3 p.m.
- United States Air Force Max Impact Rock Band: 6 — 9:09 p.m. at Sylvan Theater, on the Washington Monument grounds.
Items barred from secure areas include glass containers, alcohol and drones.
Independence Day road closures for the parade and fireworks begin as early as 6 a.m. July 4.
Free bike parking is at 14th and 15th streets at Independence Avenue. Bring your own lock.
To receive real-time emergency alerts and information related to Mall events such as weather updates or entry issues text, July4DC to 888777. If you registered last year, you’re already in the alert system.
Get more information on the National Park Service website.