SWANTON, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a 9-year-old boy was severely burned in a fireworks accident in western Maryland.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office says the boy suffered burns on 50 percent of his body, including his upper torso, neck and arms. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital and was in critical condition after the accident Friday morning.
Authorities say the boy was at the Savage River State Forest with his mother, who was inside a tent at the time of the accident. Investigators found that the boy went outside and ignited a sparkler, which caused his shirt to catch fire.
State Fire Marshal Brian Geraci is urging parents to keep fireworks out of the reach of children.
“Hand held sparklers burn at 1,200˚F and can quickly ignite combustibles such as clothing,” he said in a statement. “The Office of the State Fire Marshal urges all Marylanders to keep fireworks out of the reach of children to avoid turning a holiday into a potential tragedy.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.