(Update at 11:40 a.m.) About 100 people inside Walter Johnson High School were evacuated Tuesday morning after what was likely sewer gas was discovered in the building.
MCFRS units arrived at the scene (6400 Rock Spring Dr.) for an inhalation emergency, according to MCFRS spokesperson Pete Piringer.
The odor might have had something to do with work on the school building’s sprinkler or plumbing system, according to Piringer, who also said the evacuation is a precautionary move. The regular school year ended last week.
Piringer said EMS units evaluated several people who were inside the building and none were ill. The building was ventilated and reoccupied before 11:45 a.m.