3 shot near Ballou High School

WASHINGTON – A shooting at a D.C. bus stop Tuesday morning sent bystanders running and put a nearby high school on lockdown.

Three people were injured but are expected to survive. The two 17-year-olds and one 20-year-old were shot about 9 a.m. in the 3100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard SE, says Robin Hoey, Seventh District commander.

Mary Cuthbert, an Advisory Neighborhood Commission representative, came across the violence while on her way to work.

“I was walking to the bus stop and I heard four shots and I saw some kids running down Esther Place and kids running across the street. And then I saw a young man run to the fire house, banging on the door for them to come out because the young man was shot.”

Ballou High School and Ballou STAY High School were placed on lockdown right after the shooting. The lockdown had been lifted by 1 p.m., according to D.C. Public Schools.

It was unknown whether the victims are students at the school. One of the victims was in serious conditions. The condition of the other two were not known but their injuries were not life-threatening.

Hoey says police have leads and are “looking for some people” in connection with the shooting.

Police are also investigating whether a dispute on a Metro bus spilled onto the street and resulted in the shooting.

A bullet pierced the front window of Donny Seto’s cell phone store, located directly behind the Metro bus stop where the shooting occurred:

“I was changing the batteries in the door when I heard three gunshots, but I’m used to hearing gunshots,” Seto says. “When the shooting did start, I made sure that all my employees were safe. ”



WTOP’s Dick Uliano contributed to this report. Follow @WTOP on Twitter and on WTOP Facebook page.


Advertiser Content