The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. HOW NEW UKRAINE LEADER PLANS TO CONFRONT INSURGENCY
Petro Poroshenko vows to guarantee the rights of residents in eastern Ukraine, home to many pro-Russia rebels.
2. WHO POPE INTENDS TO MEET AT VATICAN
Pope Francis announces he will host a group of sex abuse victims next month at the Vatican, and declares “zero tolerance” for clergy who would violate a child.
3. ‘WE MUST DO MORE TO KEEP FAITH WITH OUR VETERANS’
In Memorial Day remarks, President Obama made a reference to a widening scandal involving poor performance by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
4. ABDUCTED GIRLS LOCATED, NIGERIAN DEFENSE CHIEF SAYS
But he said he fears that using force to try to free the nearly 300 schoolgirls kidnapped by terrorists could further endanger their lives.
5. WHY THE INTENTIONS OF MASS MURDERERS ARE DIFFICULT TO PREDICT
Since killings such as the shootings in Goleta, Calif., that left seven dead are rare, scholars say there’s no way to predict who will reach a breaking point and become violent.
6. FEARS RISE WITH INCREASE OF WEST COAST OIL TRAINS
The trains carry tens of thousands of barrels of crude from North Dakota oil fields, raising concerns after nine U.S. accidents in the past year.
7. DON’T PROTEST, IT’S NO USE
That’s what Thai coup leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said in his first public appearance since the military takeover, warning against demonstrations.
8. WHAT NEW OBAMACARE CONCERN VEXES STATES
Coast to coast, states are facing threats that their Medicaid costs will rise due to the federal health care law.
9. STRING OF STATE, FEDERAL COURT RULINGS BOLSTERS GAY MARRIAGE
Now there are 26 states that either allow same-sex couples to wed, or where a judge has ruled they ought to be allowed.
10. BIG SISTER HELPS WITH BUFFETT’S PHILANTROPY
Doris Buffett’s Sunshine Lady Foundation weighs requests for assistance that her brother Warren receives to find people who have fallen on hard times.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.