WASHINGTON — Rockville security officers responded Monday, February 24 to a report of a threatening message written on a stairwell wall in the campus center at Montgomery College’s Rockville Campus.
The message read, “school shooting 3/5/14.”
In a memo released Friday from the Montgomery College Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management, Director Steve Maloney assured that security precautions are being taken.
School authorities told the Rockville City Police immediately after finding the message, and also contacted Montomery County Police and the Maryland Center for School Safety.
Police have increased their numbers at all Montgomery College campuses (Germantown, Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring.
The campuses have security officers on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The memo gives important steps to take as a concerned community member:
- Report suspicious or concerning behavior immediately to the Office of Safety and Security. If you see something, say something.
- Know the number for the Office of Safety and Security for your campus or location.
- Germantown Campus and Gaithersburg Business Training Center: 240- 567-7777
- Rockville Campus, 40 West Gude, and the Office of Information Technology Building: 240-567-5111
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus and Westfield South: 240-567-1600
- Sign up for Montgomery College ALERT to receive texts and/or e-mail messages about College closures, delays, and emergencies. This service is the quickest way to receive notification about emergency situations, as well as weather-related closures and delays. Sign up at: https://alert.montgomeryc ountymd.gov/register.php
- Familiarize yourself with the posted Evacuation Maps and Classroom Guides.
- Review the Emergency Procedures at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu /emergency
Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.