250 evacuated after Md. Walmart CO leak

WASHINGTON – More than 250 people were evacuated from a Laurel Walmart this morning after firefighters discovered a carbon monoxide leak.

It happened at a store in the 3500 block of Russet Green East, near Route 198, at about 10:30. The Anne Arundel County Fire Department was responding to an unrelated call for an injured employee when their CO monitors started to go off.

Fire Lieutenant Russ Davies, a spokesman for the fire department, says a malfunctioning HVAC unit caused the leak.

No one was injured; people were allowed back into the store after about two hours, and the employee firefighters initially went to help was taken to a local hospital.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter.


Advertiser Content