WASHINGTON – The investigation into the U.S. Capitol Police response to last month’s Navy Yard shooting is nearing the home stretch, after being delayed by the 16-day government shutdown.
The review is “moving along quickly,” says Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer and could be completed “possibly within the next two weeks.”
The investigation could determine whether a Capitol Police tactical team reached the Navy Yard minutes after shots were fired only to be ordered to stand down.
The Associated Press reported that a supervisor directed the tactical team to stand down.
Sources have alleged that if the Capitol Police tactical unit, known as the Containment and Emergency Response Team, had been allowed to confront the shooter, it may have been able to save more lives.
The Navy Yard gunman, Aaron Alexis, killed 12 people Sept. 16 before being shot dead by police.
Gainer says the board will issue a written report after conducting “a very comprehensive review.” He says investigators are listening to tape recordings of police radio transmissions and interviewing individuals with knowledge of what occurred.
Besides Gainer, other members of the Capitol Police Board include House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving, Architect of the Capitol Stephen Ayers and Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine.