Tim Bracken, wtop.com
WASHINGTON – Traveling in the District could be a nightmare this weekend. Major track work is set to cause massive delays, Washington Nationals games are scheduled and a trio of footraces will close several major roadways and streets in the District, Arlington and Montgomery County.
Several festivals are also scheduled, including the Takoma Park Folk Festival, the Rosslyn Jazz Festival, Adams Morgan Day and the Alexandria King Street Festival.
Read on for the details, and have a great weekend!
Metro track work
Major delays are expected on the Red Line this weekend with multiple station closures. The Orange and Yellow lines will have some single tracking as well.
All work will start at 10 p.m. Friday and continue through system closing on Sunday.
There is no scheduled track work on the Blue Line, but keep in mind that trains will operate every 16 minutes throughout the weekend to avoid conflicts with Orange and Yellow line trains.
Here’s the latest from Metro:
- Red Line trains will operate between 2 sections: Between Shady Grove and Dupont Circle stations, and between Glenmont and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations.
- Trains will run every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations.
- Dupont Circle will be open for rail service to/from Shady Grove only.
- Farragut North, Judiciary Square, and Union Station will all be closed.
- Metro Center will be open for Blue/Orange line service only.The station entrances at 11th & G St NW and 13th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 12th & G St NW and 12th & F St NW will remain open.
- Gallery Place will be open for Green/Yellow line service only. The station entrance at 9th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 7th & H St NW and 7th & F St NW will remain open.
- NoMa-Gallaudet U will be open for rail service to/from Glenmont only.
Limited stop buses will operate between Dupont Circle, Metro Center, Gallery Place and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations only. Local buses will stop at all stations. Major delays are expected.
- Trains will be single tracking between East Falls Church and West Falls Church.
- More single tracking between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly.
- Orange Line trains will operate every 24 minutes throughout the weekend.
- Trains will single track between Huntington and Braddock Road.
- Yellow Line trains will operate every 16 minutes between Huntington and Mt. Vernon Square only.
- Customers traveling to/from stations north of Mt. Vernon Square should use Green Line trains to complete their trip.
New York Avenue lane closure
Scheduled for Saturday between 6 a.m. and 1 p.m., one single lane will be open on both sides of New York Avenue between Florida Avenue and 4th Street NE. Delays are expected.
Beltway construction update
Overnight paving continues on both loops of the Capital Beltway between I-66 and Georgetown Pike. Expect a minimum of two lanes getting by between 9:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. After midnight, temporary total closures are possible for up to 30 minutes at a time.
Telegraph Road interchange closures
Construction activity is scheduled for the Capital Beltway/Telegraph Road interchange this weekend, so watch out for delays near the Wilson Bridge.
The ramps from both directions of Telegraph Road to the Beltway Outer Loop will be closed starting at 9 p.m. Friday and continuing through 9 p.m. Saturday.
Drivers are advised to use Huntington Avenue and Route 1 to access the Outer Loop.
Adams Morgan Day Festival
The Adams Morgan Day Festival is scheduled for Saturday between noon and 7 p.m.
Watch for street closures to begin around 4 a.m. Several streets will be affected in Adams Morgan between 16th Street and Columbia Road NW.
Arlington Police, Fire, & Sheriff 9-11 Memorial 5k
The 9-11 Memorial 5k is scheduled for 6 p.m. Saturday, and the following streets will be closed in Arlington between 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.:
- Army Navy Drive closed between S. Fern Street and S. 12th Street.
- S 12th Street closed between Army Navy Drive and Crystal Drive.
- Crystal Drive closed between 23rd Street and 12th Street.
- The Pentagon south parking area will have closures, watch for police direction.
- Watch out for temporary “No Parking” signs near the race route.
The 2012 Nation’s Triathlon is scheduled for Sunday between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m. Traffic will be affected from Georgetown to the Tidal Basin.
The following closures will be in effect on Sunday:
- Whitehurst Freeway closed between 6 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Clara Barton Parkway to Caderock closed between 6 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Canal Road closed from M Street to Clara Barton Parkway between 6 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- The length of the Rock Creek Parkway will have multiple closures in both directions between 6 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- 27th Street NW between K Street and Virginia Avenue between 6 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- 23rd Street NW closed between Memorial Circle and Independence Avenue between 6 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- 15th Street closed between Independence Avenue and Constitution Avenue between 6 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Independence Ave closed between the Rock Creek Parkway and 15th Street NW between 6 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Maine Avenue closed between 15th Street and Ohio Drive between 6 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Ohio Drive closed around Potomac Park between 6 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The Parks Half-Marathon
The marathon is scheduled for the morning of Sunday, Sept. 9 in Montgomery County. The marathon’s website offers additional tips and advice for motorists navigating each of the following affected roads:
- Stonestreet Avenue in Rockville will be closed for pre-race activities from 4 to 7:15 a.m.
- The rightmost lane of Veirs Mill Road in the south and eastbound directions will be closed from 6:50 to 7:35 a.m. This closure affects the section between 355 and Aspen Hill Road. Additional roads that cross Veirs Mill Road will also be affected, with more specific details available on the marathon’s website.
- Randolf Road will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path just west of Dewey Road from 7:15 to 7:59 a.m.
- Garret Park Road will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path from 7:25 to 8:13 a.m.
- Wexford Road will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path and Beach Drive from 7:28 to 8:19 a.m.
- Knowles Ave will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path and Beach Drive from 7:30 to 8:20 a.m.
- Beach Drive will be closed at Grosvenor Lane from 7:30 to 8:45 a.m.
- Beach Drive will be closed at Franklin Street from 7:35 to 8:35 a.m.
- Cedar Lane will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path just south of Beach Drive from 7:40 to 8:46 a.m.
- Parts of Beach Drive will be closed between Connecticut Avenue and Old Spring Road from 7:40 to 9:13 a.m. at intersections with the Rock Creek Bike path south of Connecticut Avenue and north of Old Spring Road.
- Stanhope Road will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path and Beach Drive from 7:44 to 8:58 a.m.
- Kensington Parkway will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path just north of Beach Drive from 7:44 to 8:58 a.m.
- Jones Mill Road will be closed at the Rock Creek Bike path just south of Forsynthia Road and the I-495 overpass from 7:45 to 9:13 a.m.
- The northbound lane of Jones Mill Road will be closed north of Jones Mill Road from 7:50 to 9:25 a.m.
- The eastbound lanes of Jones Bridge Road will be closed at the intersection with Jones Mill Road from 7:50 to 9:25 a.m.
- One lane of Susanna Lane off of Jones Mill Road will be closed from 7:50 to 9:25 a.m.
- Connecticut Avenue will be closed in Bethesda at the intersection with the Georgetown Branch trail, between Chevy Chase Lake Drive and Manor Road, from 8 to 9:37 a.m.
- The southbound lanes of Connecticut Avenue will be closed to thru traffic (local traffic only) at the intersection with Jones Bridge Road from 8 to 9:37 a.m.
- The northbound lanes of Connecticut Avenue will be closed to thru traffic (local traffic only) at the intersection with Jones Bridge Road from 8 to 9:37 a.m.
- Woodmont Avenue in Bethesda, between Hampden Lane and Bethesda Avenue, will be closed from 5 to 11:05 a.m. for finish area activities.
- Elm Street will be closed at the intersection with Woodmont Avenue from 5 to 11:05 a.m. for finish area activities.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(.Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved)