Tim Bracken, wtop.com
WASHINGTON – Metro delays will continue this weekend with three station closures on the Orange Line and single tracking on the Red Line.
Expect delays on Interstate 66 near the Capital Beltway where multiple lane closures will slow travel. Overnight paving is scheduled on the Beltway between I- 66 and Georgetown Pike.
The Telegraph Road interchange will be another sore spot for traffic with a full closure of Telegraph Road scheduled for Friday night.
Read on for the details, and have a great weekend!
The Red and Orange lines are the only lines affected by track work this weekend. Here’s the summary from Metro:
- Trains will single track between Grosvenor and Medical Center
- More single tracking scheduled between Takoma and Forest Glen
- Trains will operate every 24 minutes between Shady Grove and Grosvenor with additional trains running every 12 minutes between Medical Center and NoMa Galludet U between 9:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- Delays of at least 20 minutes are expected
- Buses will replace Orange Line trains between Vienna and East Falls Church
- Vienna, Dunn Loring and West Falls Church stations will be closed
- Both express and local buses will be running. For express buses allow 15 minutes extra travel time. For local buses add 40 minutes to your ride
I-66 Express Lanes closures
Big delays are expected on I-66 at the Beltway all weekend, with multiple lane closures starting Friday night.
Here’s what you need to know:
Friday and Saturday between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m.
- The ramps from both loops of the Capital Beltway to westbound I-66 will be reduced to one lane
- Westbound I-66 just before the Beltway will be reduced to one lane
Saturday between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- The ramps from both loops of I-495/Capital Beltway to westbound I-66 will be reduced to one lane
- Westbound I-66 before the Beltway will have two travel lanes open
- From 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., just the ramp from the Outer Loop of I-495 to westbound I-66 will be reduced to one lane
- All westbound lanes of I-66 before the Beltway will be open during daytime hours
- The ramp from the Outer Loop of I-495 to westbound I-66 will be closed starting at 9 p.m. Sunday, and continuing through 5 a.m. Monday
- Westbound I-66 at the Beltway will be reduced to one lane overnight Sunday, as well
I-395 lane closures
Starting at 11 p.m. Friday and continuing through 9 a.m. Saturday, the I-395 High Occupancy Vehicle lanes will be closed between I-495 and Duke Street. At 9 a.m. Saturday, HOV lanes will reopen in the northbound direction.
Along with the Friday night HOV lanes closure, two left lanes of southbound I-395 will be blocked before Edsall Road.
Beltway construction update
Overnight paving continues on both loops of the Capital Beltway between I-66 and Georgetown Pike. Expect a minimum of two lanes getting by between 9:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. After midnight, temporary total closures are possible for up to 30 minutes at a time.
Telegraph Road interchange closures
A lot of construction activity is scheduled for the Capital Beltway/Telegraph Road interchange this weekend, so expect delays near the Wilson Bridge.
- Starting at 10 p.m. Friday and continuing through 6 a.m. Saturday, Telegraph Road will be closed in both directions between Duke Street and Huntington Avenue
- Starting at 9 p.m. Friday and continuing through 5 a.m. Saturday, the exit ramp from the Inner Loop to southbound Telegraph Road will be closed
- Starting at 9 p.m. Friday and continuing through 9 p.m. Saturday, the exit ramp from the Outer Loop local lanes to Telegraph road will be closed
Annapolis Striders’ Ten Mile Run
There will be staggered road closings along the route of the annual Annapolis Strider’s Ten Mile Run Sunday morning until about 10 a.m.
The run starts and ends at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium:
Stadium Area / Rowe Blvd (7:30 – 8:15 a.m.)
- Taylor Ave. between Cedar Park Rd. & Rowe Blvd. – Closed to traffic until 8:05
- Cedar Park Rd. between Taylor Ave. & Farragut Rd. – Closed to traffic
- Farragut Rd. – Closed to traffic
- Rowe Blvd. – Southbound lane from Farragut to Taylor – Closed to traffic
West Annapolis/Taylor Ave. Area (8:15 – 9:30 a.m.)
- Taylor Ave from Rowe Blvd to Baltimore Blvd – closed from 8:30 to 9:30
- Intersection of Rowe Blvd. at Taylor Ave. – Closed to traffic
- Taylor Ave. south of Rowe Blvd. – Detour around the Stadium using Farragut Rd. and Cedar Park to go toward West St. or re-enter Rowe Blvd.)
Historic Area (7:50 – 8:30 a.m.)
- Rowe Blvd. between Taylor Ave. & Northwest St. – Inbound (SE bound) lanes closed to traffic between 7:50 and 8:20
- Northwest St. – Closed to traffic
- Church Circle – North portion of Circle between Northwest St. & Main St.; closed to traffic; southern portion of Circle remains open to traffic
- Church Circle at College Ave. – Closed to traffic when runners are passing
- Main St. – Closed to traffic until 8:20
- Main St. & Randall St. – Closed to traffic until 8:25
- Randall St. & King George St. – Closed to traffic
- King George St. between Randall St. & Baltimore Blvd. – Closed to traffic
- College Ave. at King George St. – Closed to traffic entering King George St
Naval Academy Bridge Area (8:00 – 9:50 a.m.)
- Route 450 from King George St. to USNA Gate 8 – Closed to traffic
- Route 450 from USNA Gate 8 to B&A Blvd – Southbound lane closed to traffic. Northbound lane open to metered traffic only – one direction at a time
- Route 450 and B&A Blvd – Open to northbound traffic. Southbound traffic metered only
- Baltimore Blvd. at Bowyer Rd. – Open to northbound metered traffic
- Baltimore Blvd at Perry Circle – Closed to traffic
- Baltimore Blvd. at Sellers Rd. – Closed to traffic
Ritchie Highway (8:00 – 9:30 a.m.)
- Ritchie Highway between B&A Blvd and Boulters Way. – Southbound lane closed. Two-way traffic on northbound lane
Boulters Way and Winchester Rd (8:10 – 9:15 a.m.)
- Boulters Way – Closed to traffic
- Boulters Way and Manresa Drive – Closed to traffic
- Boulters Way and S. Winchester Rd. – Closed to traffic
- Boulters Way and Winchester Rd./Summers Run – Traffic detoured to Winchester Rd
- Winchester Rd from Boulters Way until turn-around south of Waters Ridge Ct. – Closed to southbound traffic. Northbound traffic routed to southbound lane.
Follow Tim Bracken and WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)