WASHINGTON – Two D.C. area airports are ranked among the worst airports in the country because of long or frequent flight delays.
U.S. News and World Report reviewed airports based on timeliness and passenger opinions and the review ruled Baltimore Washington International Airport and Dulles International Airport among the worst offenders.
More than 15 percent of flights leaving BWI are delayed, according to the report. But the airport has increased its on-time departures so far this year compared to the same first six month of 2011. Dulles has a worse performance record with about 20 percent of flights are delayed.
On SkyTrax, an airline and airport review site, Dulles passengers ranked the airport a 3.9 out of a possible 10 points. The low rank was attributed to the probability that connecting flights require travelers switch to another terminal and to go through security again.
BWI faired better. Passengers gave the airport seven out of 10 points in part reflecting the limited dining options.
Here’s the full list:
- Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, N.J.
Flights Delayed: 26.37 percent
Late Arrivals: 29.39 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 4.5/10
- Dulles International Airport, Washington, D.C.
Flights Delayed: 20.05 percent
Late Arrivals: 18.98 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 3.9/10
- Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles
Flights Delayed: 16.17 percent
Late Arrivals: 16.30 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 4.3/10
- O’Hare International Airport, Chicago
Flights Delayed: 20.77 percent
Late Arrivals: 18.09 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 5.5/10
- Miami International AirportM, Miami
Flights Delayed: 18.57 percent
Late Arrivals: 15.79 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 5.1/10
- Fort Lauderdale International Airport, Fort Lauderdale
Flights Delayed: 15.29 percent
Late Arrivals: 16.41 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 5.3/10
- Houston Intercontinental Airport, Houston
Flights Delayed: 22.82 percent
Late Arrivals: 20.30 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 6.6/10
- San Francisco Intercontinental Airport, San Francisco
Flights Delayed: 24.17 percent
Late Arrivals: 26.65 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 7.8/10
- McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas
Flights Delayed: 16.53 percent
Late Arrivals: 13.33 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 6.1/10
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta
Flights Delayed: 14.62 percent
Late Arrivals: 14.09 percent
SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 6.3/10
- Baltimore/ Washington International Airport, Baltimore Flights Delayed: 17.42 percent Late Arrivals: 13.86 percent SkyTrax Traveler Rating: 7/10
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)