D.C. trash crew exposed to toxic fumes

WASHINGTON – A city crew collecting trash in D.C. was exposed to a toxic vapor Monday while working in Northeast, according to the city.

The three-person crew was treated and decontaminated at the scene, says William O. Howland, Jr., director of the Department of Public Works. Two of the workers were sent to the hospital, but none have life-threatening injuries, the department says.

Howland, Jr. says the exposure could have been prevented.

“We urge District residents to bring their household hazardous waste to our monthly drop-off, held the first Saturday of each month, so that our crews, the residents’ families and the general public are not exposed to dangerous substances,” he says.

The city’s Public Works website shows the next Household Hazardous Waste/E-cycling/Personal Document Shredding event is Saturday, Sept. 1 at the Fort Totten Transfer Station. Residents can bring pesticides, batteries and cleaning fluids to Fort Totten between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Follow WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertiser Content