Amy Freedman, wtop.com
Tim Bracken, wtop.com
WASHINGTON – Temperatures are expected to be a bit more tolerable this weekend, but that doesn’t mean the region gets a break from the usual weekend travel delays.
Metro will have two station closures on the Red Line, along with single tracking on the Green, Blue, and Orange lines. Significant delays are expected on the Outer Loop near the Wilson Bridge, and overnight construction closures will continue on the Beltway near Interstate 66.
Read on for the details, and have a great weekend!
Metro Track work continues over the weekend on the Red, Green, Blue and Orange lines. The work begins at 10 p.m. Friday continuing through system closing on Sunday.
- Buses replace trains between Grosvenor and Friendship Heights stations.
- Medical Center and Bethesda stations will be closed.
- Trains will operate in two segments: between Shady Grove and Grosvenor and between Friendship Heights and Glenmont every 10 minutes between 9:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Expect delays of 30 minutes.
- Single tracking between Fort Totten and Prince George’s Plaza.
- Allow 10 minutes additional travel time.
- Single tracking between Van Dorn Street and Franconia-Springfield.
- Trains will run at/near normal weekend times.
- Between 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. every other Blue Line train will begin/end at Van Dorn Street rather than Franconia-Springfield.
- To and from Franconia-Springfield station, allow 15 minutes additional time.
- Single tracking between East Falls Church and West Falls Church.
- Trains will leave New Carrollton every 24 minutes.
- Between 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. additional trains will run between Vienna and Stadium-Armory providing service every 12 minutes.
- No work scheduled, but trains will begin and end at Mount Vernon Square rather than Fort Totten due to work on the Green Line.
- Travelling north of Mount Vernon Square use the Green Line.
Watch out for overnight work near the Wilson Bridge this weekend. Here are the details:
- The ramps from Telegraph Road to the Inner Loop of Interstate 495 will be closed at 9 p.m. Friday until 8 a.m. Saturday.
- From 9 p.m. Friday until 8 p.m. Saturday, the Outer Loop LOCAL lanes will be diverted to the Eisenhower Connector exit, and only one THRU lane will be open to travel. Significant delays are expected.
- From 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday, the ramps from Telegraph Road to the Outer Loop of I-495 wil be closed.
- Detour signs will be posted throughout the weekend.
Between 9:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights, the following Beltway construction closures are scheduled to continue:
- Temporary closures of both loops of the Beltway I-495 between I-66 and Route 50/Arlington Boulevard.
- Closures are also possible for westbound I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road at the Beltway.
Rockville Pike lane closures
Maryland highway officials are closing lanes along north and southbound MD 355 (Rockville Pike) between Jones Bridge Road and North Drive in Bethesda this weekend for median reconstruction work.
On Saturday – weather permitting – crews will close the left lane in both directions of Rockville Pike beginning at 7 a.m. They also will intermittently close the middle lane in each direction throughout the weekend. Lanes will be open to traffic no later than 5 a.m. Monday.
Crystal City Twilighter 5k
The Crystal City Twilighter 5k is scheduled for Saturday at 8:30 p.m. The course will take runners along Crystal Drive, and will not affect traffic on Route 1.
Rockville Rotary Twilight Runfest
The multi-event Rockville Rotary Twilight Runfest will kick off around 7 p.m. Saturday at Rockville Town Center. Runners will compete for cash prizes. Watch for street closures around the Montgomery College Rockville campus.
Follow @WTOPTraffic and WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)