No injuries after maternity ward fire

WASHINGTON – A fire that broke out in a medical center maternity ward was quickly extinguished Monday night.

ABC 7 reports that 15 mothers and their babies were evacuated from the Anne Arundel Medical Center after a fire broke out in a utility closet.

Fire crews received a call about the odor of smoke on the third floor of the Anne Arundel Medical Center’s Clatanoff Pavilion on the Mother/Baby Unit at 6 p.m. Firefighters discovered the source of the fire in an utility closet.

The Anne Arundel Fire Department tells ABC 7 that an appliance in the closet caught fire. The mothers and their children were moved to another part of hospital and women in labor were also transferred to another area.

Smoke caused another 10 patients on the first floor to be moved. No injuries were reported.

Follow WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)


Advertiser Content