UPPER MARLBORO, Md. – A family of five was transported to the hospital Sunday morning for carbon monoxide exposure.
Mark Brady, a spokesman for Prince George’s County Fire and EMS, says the family woke up around 9 a.m. Sunday morning with headaches and other signs of carbon monoxide exposure.
The family was using a generator to power their home on the 12300 block of Putters Court. They did have the generator outside, but it was placed very close to a fireplace vent.
Firefighters believe that CO made its way into the home while the family slept.
The family was immediately removed from the home, and is currently in good condition.
A generator started a fire in Bowie Saturday night after it was placed too close to house.
Another person was treated for carbon monoxide exposure Saturday after placing his generator on a front porch near an open door.
Find tips for safely using a gas-powered generator here.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
A look at winter weather news from around the D.C. area.
A look at some of the best chili recipes to keep you warm from the inside all winter long.