WASHINGTON -- One person is dead and six others injured, including a 4-year-old boy, after a single-car crash in Manassas early Sunday morning.
Nine people were in the 2004 Ford Explorer shortly after 4 a.m. when the driver lost control of the car on Dumfries Road near Toddsbury Lane, according to a Prince William County police news release.
The Explorer left the roadway, rolled multiple times and settled on its roof in an embankment.
Four passengers were thrown from the vehicle during the roll. Police determined that five of the occupants were not wearing seat belts or proper restraints -- including the 4-year-old boy, says Prince William police.
Four occupants were flown to a hospital, one of whom later died. That passenger was identified as Doris Aucapina-Espinoza, 43, of Rockwood, N.Y. She was among those not wearing a seat belt.
Three other passengers were taken to the hospital in an ambulance.
The 4-year-old boy suffered significant injuries. However the other hurt passengers suffered non-life-threatening injuries including another boy, age 6, police say.
Police say neither speed, alcohol nor drug use were factors in the crash.
The driver, Alejandra Valeri Espinoza-Velasquez, 19 of Manassas, was wearing her seat belt and was not injured.
She was arrested and charged with two counts of felony child neglect and felony injure the health of a child, one count of reckless driving and one count of failure to secure a child in a safety seat.
Other occupants included:
- A 39-year-old man of Woodbridge, Va. -- was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected, flown out.
- A 49-year-old man of Lindenhurst, N.Y. -- was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected, flown out.
- The 4-year-old boy of Woodbridge, Va. -- was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected, flown out.
- A 6-year-old boy of Woodbridge, Va. -- was properly secured and was injured, transported.
- A 36-year-old man of Brooklyn, N.Y. -- was not wearing a seat belt and was injured, transported.
- A 38-year-old woman of Woodbridge, Va. -- was wearing a seat belt and was injured, transported.
- A 17-year-old male of Woodbridge, Va. -- was wearing a seat belt and was treated at the scene.
Follow @WTOP on Twitter.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.