Comment
0
Tweet
1
Print
RSS Feeds

Bad motor caused odor, evacuation at Patriot High

Tuesday - 2/21/2012, 12:42pm  ET

Mike Smeltz, wtop.com

NOKESVILLE, Va. - Students and staff are back in the classroom at Patriot High School in Nokesville after a complaint of a noxious smell Tuesday morning forced an evacuation.

It was apparently a motor in a rooftop heating and air conditioning unit which has gone bad that caused a foul odor and forced the evacuation at 9 a.m.

A spokesman for Prince William County schools says a burnt smell filtered down into the classrooms at Patriot High school.

Spokeswoman Irene Cromer says in an email that the all clear was issued shortly after 11 a.m. She says the systems have now been checked and are operating fine.

The school system says it never had any intention of sending any of the students home.

Follow WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)