Hundreds of Arlington business leaders, politicians, media members and residents attended the first ARLive community networking event last night (Tuesday) in Crystal City.
Attendees included Arlington County Board member Libby Garvey, County Board candidates Alan Howze and John Vihstadt, Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos, Crystal City Business Improvement District President and CEO Angie Fox, Vornado SVP of Development Mitch Bonanno, ARLnow.com founder and publisher Scott Brodbeck, Grade A Marketing founder Amanda Fischer, Falcon Lab Managing Partner Borzou Azabdaftari, Penzance Senior Advisor Peter Greenwald, Arlington County Democratic Committee Chairman Kip Malinosky, Rep. Jim Moran spokesman Tommy Scanlon, former County Board candidate Peter Fallon, Spider Kelly’s owner and ARLnow.com contributor Nick Freshman, BbG Fitness owner and ARLnow.com columnist Ginny Wright, singer/songwriter Justin Trawick, ARLnow.com reporter Ethan Rothstein, and ARLnow.com Director of Sales and Business Development Meghan McMahon.
ARLnow.com asked each guest to participate in an unscientific community poll while attending. They were asked to answer any or all of 20 questions, by placing a sticker next to the answer of their choice.
On the hot-button topic of the Columbia Pike street the results were surprising lopsided. Of those who weighed in, 85 percent said the streetcar should be built, while only 15 percent said the project should be scrapped.
For the similarly controversial Long Bridge Park aquatics center, 49 percent said it should be built, 15 percent said it shouldn’t be built, and 36 percent said it should be built only if costs can be brought down.
Here are the responses for some of the poll questions:
- Are you… Single: 23%, In a relationship: 32%, Married: 40%, It’s complicated: 5%
- Do you… Live in Arlington: 25%, Work in Arlington: 19%, Both: 41%, None of the above: 15%
- How long have you lived in Arlington? 0-1 years: 10%, 1-4 years: 22%, 5-10 years: 22%, 11-20 years: 9%, 21+ years: 13%, I don’t live here: 22%
- Restaurant options in Arlington… Are great: 85%, Are good, but they’re too busy: 7.5%, Are okay, but not enough variety: 7.5%, Need a lot of improvement: 0%
- In 2014, I expect my business will… Grow: 65%, Contract: 2%, Remain about the same: 3%, I work for The Man: 30%
- How do you feel about the comments on ARLnow.com? I read them and love them: 32%, I read them and hate them: 21%, I don’t read them anymore: 13%, I’ve never read them: 34%
- Arlington’s investment in affordable housing should… Increase: 67%, Be reduced: 8%, Remain about the same: 25%
- Arlington’s attitude toward business is… Too pro-business: 5%, Not pro-business enough: 67%, Just about right: 28%
- Should Arlington spend more proportionally on schools? Yes: 67%, No: 33%
- Metro’s plan to build a new Potomac River tunnel from Rosslyn is… A great idea: 58%, Too expensive or impractical: 29%, I didn’t know about it: 13%
- Roads in Arlington… Are adequately maintained: 25%, Need more maintenance: 75%
- Will you vote in the County Board special election? Yes: 50%, No: 50%
- How often do you visit Arlington Public Libraries? Daily: 1%, Weekly: 6%, Monthly: 22%, Rarely: 43%, Never: 28%
- Arlington’s taxes are… Too high: 56%, Too low: 9%, Just about right: 35%
- The Silver Line will be… Good for Arlington: 75%, Bad for Arlington: 6%, A wash for Arlington: 19%
- Should the Long Bridge Park Aquatics Center be built? Yes: 49&, No: 15%, Only if costs can be brought down: 36%
- Should the Columbia Pike Streetcar be built? Yes: 85%, No: 15%