The Arlington Commission for the Arts recommended that 18 arts organizations and one individual artist receive direct financial support as part of the county’s Fiscal Year 2014 art grants. One of the organizations set to receive a grant, Signature Theatre, withdrew itself from consideration after it accepted a $250,000 tax bailout from the county in May.
The following are among the recipients of the $199,100 worth of proposed grants.
- The American Century Theater — $9,780.00
- Arlington Arts Center — $39,118.00
- Arlington Philharmonic Association — $1,356.00
- The Arlington Players – $6,457.00
- Bowen McCauley Dance — $19,108.00
- Dominion Stage — $2,421.00
- Educational Theatre Company — $4,970.00
- Encore Stage and Studio — $11,923.00
- IBIS: A Chamber Music Society — $4,564.00
- Jane Franklin Dance — $2,891.00
- The Metropolitan Chorus — $3,951.00
- National Chamber Ensemble — $2,362.00
- Prelude: The Arlington Youth Orchestral Program — $3,420.00
- Synetic Theater — $39,701.00
- Teatro de la Luna — $14,969.00
- UrbanArias, Inc. — $8,160.00
- Washington Balalaika Society — $4,947.00
- Washington Shakespeare Company — $14,002.00
- Hendrick Sundquist for “Supply and Demand, A Natural History of Consumption” — $5,000.00
Additionally, the following are to receive facilities and technical services grants from the county:
Alma Boliviana, The Arlington Artists Alliance, The Arlington Children’s Chorus, The Arlingtones, BalletNova Center for Dance, Bangladesh Center for Community Development, Inc., Cambodian American Heritage, Inc., Carmen de Vicente Spanish Dance Academy, Centro Cultural Peru., Dance Asia, El Tayrona, Festival Argentino, First Draft at Charter Theater, Halau O’Aulani, Hexagon, Indian Dance Educators Association, Los Quetzales Mexican Dance Ensemble, Matices DC, Old Dominion Cloggers, Opera NOVA, Potomac Harmony Chorus, Prio Bangla, Inc., The ProBolivan Committee, Signature Theatre, Tinkus Tiataco USA, Vietnamese Cultural Society of Metropolitan Washington, Washington Area Mongolian Community Association.