WASHINGTON - Spring has officially arrived, so that means more options for great outdoor concerts.
The Filene Center at Wolf Trap in Vienna, Va. is offering a wide variety of performances this year, including soul, rock, comedy and full-fledged theater productions.
The venue is partially covered, with less expensive ticket prices for lawn seating.
Read on for a list of highlights from this year's schedule at the Filene Center.
- The popular musical "Rock of Ages" is scheduled for June 8 and June 9. The
production features popular '80s rock hits, and is one of the longest running
shows on Broadway.
- All-female '80s pop sensation the Go-Go's take the stage June 13. The
Psychedelic Furs open the night.
- Legendary comedian Bill Cosby performs June 15.
- On June 22, "Sing-Along Grease" features the classic movie projected onto
giant screens. Audience members can dress up as their favorite characters from the
movie and sing along with the flick.
- 1960s bubblegum takes over Wolf Trap June 23. The "Happy Together Tour"
features the Turtles, Chuck Negron of Three Dog Night, Gary Puckett & the Union
Gap, Mark Lindsay and Gary Lewis & the Raiders.
- Steve Martin has had a successful comedy and film career, but on June 24 he is
scheduled to show off his banjo chops with a performance with the Steep Canyon
- Eight-time Grammy winner Anita Baker brings her R&B vocal skills to the Filene Center June 29.
- Los Lobos and Los Lonely Boys bring a double dose of Latin-influenced rock
and roll to the stage July 9. Both bands have won Grammy awards.
- She & Him is a musical collaboration between television sitcom star Zooey
Deschanel and alt-pop songwriter M. Ward. Check them out July 11.
- The National Symphony Orchestra's "Video Games Live!" concert is scheduled for
July 13. This is a multimedia performance, complete with live action video game
characters to go along with visuals and music from games such as Zelda, Halo and
- In honor of Verdi's bicentennial birthday, the National Symphony Orchestra and
the Wolf Trap Opera
Company are presenting a brand new production of "La traviata." The three-hour
will be sung in Italian with English subtitles.
- Canadian songwriter Gordon Lightfoot comes to Wolf Trap July 25. Lightfoot has been performing for nearly 50 years, and continues to inspire and entertain audiences with his distinctive baritone.
- On Aug. 1 and Aug. 2, "Bugs Bunny at the Symphony" will feature a live
orchestra playing along with classic Looney Tunes cartoons. The show has been
praised as a fun experience for all ages.
- Songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter got her start in the D.C. area in the late
‘80s. On Aug. 10, she'll be joined by Shawn Colvin for a duo performance.
- On Aug. 11, guitar legends Peter Frampton and B.B. King bring the "Guitar
Circus" to Wolf Trap.
- Scheduled for Aug. 13, Huey Lewis and the News perform their mega hit album
"Sports" in its entirety. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the album's
- Broadway hit "Dreamgirls" runs Aug. 22 through Aug. 25. The musical features original cast member Jennifer Holiday in the lead role.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.
The "Terminator 2" actor is suspected of violating a restraining order.
Want to understand a partner? Get to know their brain.
Weinstein showcases Kelly and Mandela films at Cannes.
An NFL player relieves himself of his feelings toward the IRS.