WASHINGTON - Voters will now decide who will replace a local politician after he was convicted of stealing $350,000 from taxpayers earlier in May.
Polls open Tuesday to decide who will replace D.C. Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr. There are 12 candidates on the ballot and most are Democrats.
The winner will serve out the remainder of Thomas Jrs.' term, which ends in 2014.
Only Ward 5 residents can vote, but can be from any party. Those not already registered can do so at the polls, which are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Lawyers accuse U.S. of demeaning ex-D.C. councilman (May 3)
- Former D.C. Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr. defaults on settlement agreement (Feb. 8)
- D.C. Councilman Harry Thomas Jr. to pay $17K for student loans (Jan. 5)
- D.C. Councilman Thomas Jr. in negotiations to resign(Jan. 4)
- FBI, IRS search home of D.C. Councilman Harry Thomas Jr. (Dec. 2, 2011)
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
'Star Trek' falls short of studio hopes; 'Iron Man 3' tops $1B worldwide.
Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber are the key nominees.
Conn. zoo officials don't know how this baby came to be born.
How much did a painting of a topless "Golden Girl" fetch?