The WTOP Charity of the Month is the Humane Society of Fairfax County
Since 1965, the Humane Society of Fairfax County has helped rescue and protect animals from abuse, neglect, abandonment, and cruelty. We foster humane treatment of animals through education, rescue, adoptions, and community support.
Our mission is to promote humane education, to prevent all forms of cruelty to animals, both domestic and wild, by every legitimate means, and to assist the community with all matters pertaining to the welfare of animals.
Our adoption process is designed to help you find a pet that will fit in with your family and needs. Over decades of experience, we’ve learned that if the animal works well with your unique situation, everyone will be happier in the end. We promise to do our best to find the right companion for you. See a list for all our adoptable animals.
If you want to help us ensure the best possible lives for all animals, please consider a donation of money, supplies, or thrift store items. Our donor names are private and not shared.
For Our Animals
- Towels, blankets, comforters, or rugs (no holes please…our critters can get their heads caught)
- Toys – Safe stuffed animal toys – “Kong” and rope type dog toys and balls; cat toys and balls
- Yummy treats – cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, and small mammals
- Large plastic or metal bowls; dog collars and leashes – no buckle or choke collars please
- Dog and cat beds, litter and bedding for rabbits and guinea pigs
- Fly spray for the horses
- Food – Dry and Canned Food for cats and dogs; baby food (turkey or chicken); crackers, leaf lettuce, broccoli, carrots, apples.
- Feline and Canine Pill Pockets for medicines
- Large cat scratching posts/trees
For Our Farm
- Wood benches and picnic tables, outside plastic chairs
- Cleaning supplies – brooms & dustpans, bleach, disposable gloves
- Lowe’s or Home Depot gift cards
- Yard supplies – mulch, grass seed, rakes
- AA & D batteries
- Rubbermaid storage bins, large buckets, large covered metal trashcans
- Painting supplies
- Metal or hard plastic shelving units
- “Handy person” to service lawn mower, 4-wheeler and other mechanical items
- Nightlights and nightlight bulbs
For Our Administrative Offices
- Cleaning supplies – Windex, Clorox and cleaning supplies, Paper towels, toilet paper, Swiffer Pads, antibacterial liquid hand soap, disposable gloves, trash bags
- Office supplies: copier paper, pens, post it notes, clipboards, 3 ring notebooks, AA, AAA, D, 9-V batteries
- Clear storage boxes, 2 and 4 drawer file cabinets, bookcases/shelves, doormats
- Snow shovels
For Our Thrift Store
- Donations for resale – toys, clothes, shoes, household items, antiques, pictures, knick-knacks, bric-a-brac, tools (we’ll sell anything, except old computers and furs!)
- Fans and room heaters – large or small