Nationals-Mets game suspended after 4-hour rain delay

After a four-hour rain delay, the Washington Nationals game against the New York Mets has been suspended until Sunday afternoon.

A spokesperson confirmed the suspension at around 8:45 p.m. Saturday, hours after rain began to fall at Nationals Park.

“Due to inclement weather, tonight’s game has been suspended. This game will be made up tomorrow as part of a split admission doubleheader,” the spokesperson said in an email to WTOP.

Those hoping to catch the Nationals-Mets game can use Saturday tickets and parking passes on Sunday. The game begins at 12:35 p.m.

Anyone hoping to catch the full doubleheader must grab a ticket for Game 2, which starts at 4:35 p.m. Game 1 tickets will not be accepted.

“What are you gonna do? Weather doesn’t cooperate. Field’s unplayable,” Mets manager Buck Showalter said. “We all wanted to play. Obviously nobody wants to play a split doubleheader. Grounds crew was great. They did a great job trying to get it ready. So much water.”

The Nationals’ decision to play a split doubleheader on Mother’s Day after Saturday’s lengthy delay was not popular.

“Prize for worst Mother’s Day decision goes to whoever decided this was the best plan,” one fan responded to the announcement on the Nationals Twitter feed.

“Lack of consideration for the fans, especially making it a split double header. Shameful,” said another.

A light rain was falling when the game began at 4:05 p.m. EDT and soon intensified, but play continued.

“They kept getting a report that it was going to stop, and it kept moving in and filling in right behind it,” Showalter said.

The Mets had runners on second and third after a one-out double by Michael Perez when the game was halted.

“We tried to play through it, but the field was getting really wet and we started to see puddles,” Nationals manager Dave Martinez said. “I thought Paul and the umpires did a great job by just stopping it right there,” he added, referring to crew chief Paul Emmel.

After the rain stopped, the tarp came off the field at around 7 p.m. Showalter and Martinez inspected the infield, and the grounds crew continued to work on it.

At one point the fans remaining at Nationals Park, including a large contingent of Mets loyalists behind the visitors dugout, began a chant of “Let’s play baseball.” That soon turned to booing as the grounds crew continued to work and the game was eventually suspended at 8:39 p.m.

“You’re stepping (on the dirt) and water’s coming in behind your foot, and it’s only gonna get worse,” said Showalter, adding that there was agreement between the teams, the umpiring crew and MLB not to continue. “They tried everything to get it playable. There’s a safety issue there too. Feel bad for the fans though.”

The Nationals got an RBI single from Joey Meneses in the first inning and loaded the bases with one out. Former Mets player Dominic Smith took a called strike on a 3-0 pitch that appeared out of the zone and soon grounded into an inning-ending double play.

The Mets have allowed first-inning runs in seven straight games.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2023 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Ivy Lyons

Ivy Lyons is a digital journalist for Since 2018, they have worked on Capitol Hill, at NBC News in Washington, and with WJLA in Washington.

Federal News Network Logo

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up