Stories from shooting survivors and trauma team

UPDATE: Tuesday – 9/17/2013, 8:59pm ET

WASHINGTON – A woman injured in the Navy Yard shooting has been released from the hospital, according to MedStar Washington Hospital Center.

She suffered gunshot wounds to the head and hand.

The D.C. police officer and another woman also injured in the Navy Yard shooting remained in fair condition Tuesday night, the hospital says.

The officer suffered gunshot wounds to the leg and the second woman suffered gunshot wounds to the shoulder.

EARLIER: Tuesday – 9/17/2013, 2:58pm ET

WASHINGTON – Three shooting victims — two Navy employees and a D.C. police officer — are recovering at Medstar Washington Hospital Center Tuesday.

A D.C. Police K-9 officer who was shot multiple times in the legs was the first into the operating room where surgeons worked to repair his bone and blood vessels. He was in fair condition Tuesday and recovering well, according to the hospital.

“I can tell you he was concerned about being able to talk to his mother,” said Dr. Janis Orlowski, chief medical officer at the hospital center. Doctors were concerned about the officer’s ability to walk again in the future.

Orlowski spoke with all three victims as they were rushed into the trauma center Monday. The focus was on their health, not on what they’d been through, she said.

“This is a horrific incident for them. If they want to talk, we’ll talk to them, but we don’t bring it up with them,” she said.

The second two victims were both civilian Navy employees. The first, who was shot in the shoulder, was giving the doctors and nurses a hard time, ordering them around, Orlowski said. “She was in very, very good spirits.”

After a several-hour surgery Monday afternoon, she is recovering in fair condition, according to the hospital.

The third victim was initially thought to have the worst injuries — shot in the head and in her hand. But she did not need surgery. Orlowski described her as a very lucky young lady. She shared a story the trauma team learned from the victim’s parents at the hospital.

“Her father went to the Navy Yard — I don’t know where from. But her father went there and found her and he didn’t come in the helicopter, but he actually made it to the Navy Yard and found his daughter. It’s a remarkable story,” Orlowski said Monday.

As doctors tried to do their jobs, FBI and D.C. investigators worked with the trauma teams to try and interview the victims and collect any relevant details.

Protocol requires officers ask for permission to talk to the patients, an allowance determined by the patient’s status, Orlowski said. Investigators also will look at the victim’s personal belongings, like their clothes, for relevant details while keeping their privacy in mind, she said.

“Police will take photographs if allowed. The chain of evidence in surgery is if a fragment of something is removed, it will go through a chain of evidence passing from the surgeon to the officers,” Orlowski said.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up