Mom warns of energy drink dangers after boy falls out of car

TOWSON, Md. – The mother of a 13-year-old boy who died after falling out of a moving car says her son had been drinking an energy drink laced with alcohol.

The boy, Michael Truluck of Baltimore County, was throwing up when he fell out of a car and was struck by another vehicle over the weekend. Police say no charges will be filed against the driver who struck Truluck.

His mother, Kris Keys, is trying to make parents aware of the problem of energy drinks laced with alcohol.

“This drink is illegal and way too powerful for kids,” she told The Baltimore Sun. “They all think they are invincible, but this shows them they are not.”

It’s still not clear exactly what Truluck, an eighth-grader at Parkville Middle School, was drinking.

Maryland Attorney General Doug Gansler has made it clear something more needs to be done about alcohol-packed energy drinks.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP and The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up