UK-US dual citizen returned to prison in Iran after furlough

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A dual British-U.S. national released from prison last week as part of a deal between Iran and the United Kingdom was returned to custody and on Sunday was transferred to a hotel, the British government said.

Iranian prison officials let the long-held 66-year-old environmentalist, Morad Tahbaz, leave jail on a furlough last Wednesday, the same day as two high-profile British citizens who had been detained in Iran for more than five years were freed and flown home to Britain.

The U.K. said it secured Tahbaz’s furlough, along with the release and return of charity worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and retired civil engineer Anoosheh Ashoori, after settling a long-standing debt to Iran that had fueled tensions between the countries for decades.

But barely two days after Tahbaz left jail and headed to his family’s home in Tehran, Iranian security forces forced him to return to Evin Prison, his Tehran-based lawyer said.

“Unfortunately, we have no idea if or when he is going to be released,” Hojjat Kermani told The Associated Press. “He is back in Evin for the time being.”

Iranian officials and state-run media did not acknowledge his return to prison. Iran’s mission to the United Nations also did not immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did officials in Iran’s judiciary office.

The State Department said it was aware of reports that Tahbaz had been returned to prison allegedly to be fitted with an ankle tag.

However, Tahbaz’s lawyer said he “was not informed about any ankle tag” and two days later remained behind bars without any update.

“Iran made a commitment to the U.K. to furlough Morad Tahbaz,” the State Department said. “We are not a party to this arrangement, but would join the U.K. in considering anything short of Morad’s immediate furlough a violation of Iran’s commitment.”

The statement added: “We are urgently consulting with the U.K. on appropriate responses.”

Iranian security forces arrested Tahbaz in January 2018, as part of wide crackdown targeting environmental activists in the Islamic Republic.

A prominent conservationist and board member of the Persian Wildlife Heritage Foundation that seeks to protect endangered species, Tahbaz was sentenced to 10 years in prison with his colleagues on vague charges of spying for America and undermining Iran’s security.

United Nations human rights experts have pressed for Tahbaz’s release, decrying his detention as arbitrary and expressing concern over his “life-threatening” health problems and exposure to COVID-19 in his overcrowded jail cell.

Tahbaz’s family and international rights groups reject the charges against him, accusing the Iranian government of using the dual national as a diplomatic pawn in its negotiations for money and influence with the West — something Tehran denies.

His return to prison comes as world powers try to revive the agreement of 2015 that imposed limits on Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for easing sanctions.

Earlier this month, after almost a year of painstaking talks, negotiators in Vienna put their work on “pause.” They had nearly reached an agreement until Russia demanded that its trade with Iran be exempted from Western sanctions over its invasion of Ukraine, threatening to derail the process.

“We are close to a possible deal, but we’re not there yet,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said last week.

He added: “We continue to work night and day to secure the release of our wrongfully detained citizens, and that includes U.S.-U.K. citizen Morad Tahbaz.”

Copyright © 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up