Capitol Police take man into custody from ‘suspicious vehicle’ in front of Supreme Court

A Michigan man is in custody Tuesday morning after illegally parking his vehicle in front of the Supreme Court and starting a standoff with police.

At approximately 9:30 a.m., U.S. Capitol Police officers saw the man in his illegally parked Chevy Tahoe.

Jason Bell, Capitol Police’s deputy chief of operational forces, said at a briefing that the man refused to talk and “made a statement to the effect of ‘Time for talking is done.'”

Crisis negotiation officers tried to speak with the man, Bell said, but the man refused.

At approximately 11 a.m., Capitol Police approached the SUV and removed him from it.

He was arrested for failure to obey and assault on a police officer.

According to Capitol Police, no weapons have been found yet. The vehicle is still being searched.

Asked at a briefing whether or not the incident could be politically motivated, Bell said: “It’s still active investigation. We don’t have motivation at this time.”

Will Vitka

William Vitka is a Digital Editor and reporter for He's been in the news industry for over a decade. Before joining WTOP, he worked for CBS News, Stuff Magazine, The New York Post and wrote a variety of books—about a dozen of them, with more to come.

Thomas Robertson

Thomas Robertson is an Associate Producer and Web Writer/Editor at WTOP. After graduating in 2019 from James Madison University, Thomas moved away from Virginia for the first time in his life to cover the local government beat for a small daily newspaper in Zanesville, Ohio.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2021 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up