Pothole Problems? Know Who To Call

Randy Denchfield's fence in front of his Connecticut Avenue home now has nine hubcaps from cars that ran through a nearby pothole

Randy Denchfield’s house on Connecticut Avenue now serves as a type of museum to potholes, with nine hubcap victims of a particularly large road crack posted on his front fence.

Low temperatures and wet weather have contributed to an uptick in potholes around the area. The one that drew the attention of local news channel ABC7 on Monday seems to have been patched up.

But know who to call to report a pothole in your neighborhood. For Montgomery County roads, you can create a service request online:

Generally, potholes are inspected and repaired within 3 business days on County maintained roadways (not numbered routes such as Rt. 355, Connecticut Avenue, East-West Highway, or municipalities such as City of Rockville or City of Gaithersburg). Please create a service request with the required fields and provide a brief description of size and location under “Additional Information”. Options for locations and or reference points; address, closest intersection, near a business (McDonalds, 7-11, shopping center, etc.) or between 2 streets such as Crabbs Branch Road between Shady Grove Road and Redland Road.

Be sure to know which roads are county operated and which are operated by the State Highway Administration. Connecticut Avenue, for instance, is a major thoroughfare and numbered route that SHA crews are responsible for.

You can create a service request with the SHA here or call 301-513-7300.

And if you’ve lost a hubcap in the past few days while driving on Connecticut Avenue in Chevy Chase, Denchfield may have it waiting for you.

Advertiser Content