Stepson in custody after D.C. officer killed

The man accused of killing his stepfather, who was a D.C. police detective, turned himself in to Prince George's County Police just after 6:30 Tuesday evening.

UPDATE: Tuesday – 4/23/2013. 11:20 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON – The man accused of killing his stepfather, who was a D.C. police detective, turned himself in to Prince George’s County Police just after 6:30 Tuesday evening.

“Family members dropped off our suspect in this case, 27-year-old Antwan James here at (police) headquarters,” Prince George’s County police spokeswoman Julie Parker told reporters at a news conference.

“James was on the run for about 24 hours. At this point it’s not clear where he was for that time period,” Parker says.

Parker says the killing was captured on video by a security camera mounted at a nearby home.

“The video very clearly identifies the victim in this case, Detective Newell, working on a light fixture outside his home and the suspect very clearly walks up to him and shoots him multiple times.”

Parker says the video will not be released because it is evidence in the case.

Parker thanked the public for helping with the investigation.

“We got the information out about this suspect, and we did receive calls from citizens who reported sightings of the suspect,” she says.

“The 27-year-old will be charged with first degree murder and will likely be placed on a no-bond status,” Parker said.

Prince George’s County homicide detectives tried to talk with James before he was taken to jail.

“At this point there has not been a lot of communication between the suspect and our detectives,” said Parker.

James has an outstanding warrant for a separate crime.

“He was wanted on an assault warrant that originated in Prince George’s County. That warrant went out in March of this year,” Parker said.

FIRST UPDATE: Tuesday – 4/23/2013, 7:40 p.m. ET WASHINGTON – The man suspected of shooting and killing a D.C. police officer has turned himself in, Prince George’s County police.

A first-degree murder charge was filed against Antwan Rayvon James, 27, earlier today.

Police have scheduled a news conference this evening and WTOP will bring you more information as it becomes available.

EARLIER: Tuesday – 4/23/2013, 1:23pm ET


Newell (Courtesy Metropolitan Police Department)

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. – An off-duty D.C. police detective is dead in what authorities call a “domestic-related homicide,” and police are searching for the victim’s stepson in connection with the killing.

Prince George’s County police say Joseph Burrough Newell, 46, was shot and killed Monday night at a home on Green Moss Drive in Upper Marlboro, Md.

Police were called to the home at 8:13 p.m., and Newell — who joined the Metropolitan Police Department in 1989 — was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police have issued a warrant in connection with the incident for 27-year-old Antwan Rayvon James. James is Newell’s stepson and also lived at the home in Upper Marlboro. Authorities say he recently was fired from the D.C. Fire and EMS Department.


James (Courtesy Prince George’s County Police Department)

He also has an outstanding warrant for assault. It was issued March 16, officials say.

Police say the incident stemmed from a dispute centered around yard work. Newell reportedly was on a stepladder screwing in a light bulb and asked his stepson for help.

“The stepson, James, didn’t like it and shot and killed his stepfather,” Prince George’s County Assistant Police Chief Kevin Davis says. “It’s as simple and tragic as that.”

Police described the incident as an execution, and say the shooting was captured by surveillance cameras.

James is described as a black male, about 6 feet tall and 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans and black boots. Police think he may have a gun and say he should be considered dangerous.

After arriving on the scene, police initially thought a suspect still might be there and urged neighbors to stay inside their homes. K-9 officers and specialized teams now are searching for James.

“It is believed the suspect is no longer in the residence and may not be in the immediate area,” Prince George’s County police spokeswoman Cpl. Maria McKinney says. “We are actively searching for that person.”

See video of the officer’s search below:

WTOP’s Michelle Basch and Nick Ianelli contributed to this report. Follow @NickWTOP, @MBaschWTOP and WTOP on Twitter.