Tim Bracken, wtop.com
WASHINGTON – Sunday’s Marine Corps Marathon is this weekend’s big event, and it will affect travel around Arlington and the District, including northbound closure of the George Washington Parkway.
Single tracking continues on all but one Metro line, and construction delays are expected on the Capital Beltway near Telegraph Road.
Marine Corps Marathon
The Marine Corps Marathon is scheduled for Sunday, with road closures beginning at 4 a.m. Tens of thousands of runners are expected to run in Sunday’s event, and many streets will be closed near the Pentagon, Arlington, Rosslyn, and through the District.
Metro will open at 5 a.m. on Sunday to accommodate participants.
View the course map here.
Here is the full list of street closures:
- 4:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Both directions of the Memorial Bridge closed
- 4:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Route 110 ramp from Washington Blvd to Route 110
- 4:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Marshall Drive from North Meade Street to Route 110
- 4:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Route 110 from I-66 to U.S. Highway 1
- 4:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. North Meade Street from Marshall Drive to Lynn Street
- 4:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Wilson Boulevard from North Nash Street to Route 110
- 4:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Lynn Street from North Meade Street to Lee Highway
- 4:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Fort Myer Drive from North Meade Street to Lee Highway
- 4:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. North Moore Street from Wilson Blvd to Lee Highway
- 4:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. 19th Street North from Lynn Street to North Nash Street
- 5:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Madison Drive NW from 15th Street NW to 3rd Street NW
- 7:23 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. Lee Highway (eastbound) from Lynn Street to North Kirkwood Street
- 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. 7th Street; Constitution Ave NW to Independence Ave SW
- 7:30 a.m. – 9:25 a.m. Spout Run closed between Lee Highway and GW Memorial Pkwy
- 7:30 a.m. – 9:40 a.m. GW Memorial Pkwy closed between Spout Run and Key Bridge
- 7:30 a.m. – 1:08 p.m. Jefferson Drive SW from 3rd Street SW to 14th Street SW
- 7:33 a.m. – 9:40 a.m. Francis Scott Key Bridge closed in both directions
- 7:35 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. Canal Road NW from M Street NW to Reservoir Road NW
- 7:35 a.m. – 1:17 p.m. 14th Street SW from Jefferson Drive to northbound HOV Lanes
- 7:35 a.m. – 1:45 p.m. HOV Lanes from 14th Street SW to HOV ramp at S Eads Street
- 7:40 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. S Eads Street from South Rotary Road to Army Navy Drive
- 7:42 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. Reservoir Road NW from MacArthur Blvd. NW to Canal Road NW
- 7:42 a.m. – 10:25 a.m. MacArthur Blvd. NW from Foxhall Road NW to Reservoir Road NW
- 7:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Foxhall Road NW from Canal Road NW to MacArthur Blvd NW
- 7:45 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Army Navy Drive from South Eads to 12th Street
- 7:47 a.m. – 10:36 a.m. M Street NW from Canal Road NW to Wisconsin Ave NW
- 7:48 a.m. – 10:40 a.m. Wisconsin Ave from M Street NW to K Street NW
- 7:49 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. K Street from Wisconsin to Rock Creek and Potomac Pkwy
- 7:50 a.m. – 11:04 a.m. Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway from K to Independence
- 7:52 a.m. – 11:05 p.m. Lincoln Circle from 23rd Street NW to 23rd Street SW
- 7:53 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Ohio Drive SW from Independence Ave to Maine Ave SW
- 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. 15th Street S from Crystal Drive to Eads Street
- 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. 12th Street from Army Navy Drive to Crystal Drive
- 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Crystal Drive from 12th Street to 23rd Street
- 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Long Bridge Drive from 12th Street to N Boundary Channel Drive
- 8:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. N Boundary Channel Drive from I395 ramps to Washington Blvd
- 8:02 a.m. – 12:10 p.m. Maine Avenue SW from East Basin Drive to Independence Ave SW
- 8:03 a.m. – 12:25 p.m. East Basin Drive from Maine Ave to Ohio Drive
- 8:06 a.m. – 12:28 p.m. Independence Avenue SW from Maine Ave SW to Ohio Drive SW
- 8:13 a.m. – 12:35 p.m. 15th Street NW/SW from Constitution Ave NW to Maine Ave SW
- 8:15 a.m. – 12:55 p.m. 3rd Street; Pennsylvania Ave NW to Maryland Ave SW
- 8:16 a.m. – 12:50 p.m. Pennsylvania Ave NW from 3rd Street NW to E Capitol Circle
- 8:16 a.m. – 12:50 p.m. 1st Street; Pennsylvania Ave NW to Maryland Ave SW
- 8:17 a.m. – 12:52 p.m. Maryland Ave SW from S Capitol Circle to 3rd Street
AIDS Walk On Saturday, the AIDS Walk will take place originating and ending at Freedom Plaza between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Expect closures on Pennsylvania Avenue between 3rd and 13th streets NW and closures on Constitution at 3rd Street NW. Pennsylvania Avenue between 13th and 14th NW will be closed from 2 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Metro construction update
This weekend’s Metro construction efforts affect the Red, Orange, Blue, and Green lines. All work begins at 10 p.m. Friday and continues through system closing Sunday, except work on the Blue line taking place Saturday only.
Here’s the update from Metro.
- Trains will single track between Twinbrook and Grosvenor.
- More single tracking between Forest Glen and Takoma.
- Throughout the weekend, trains between Shady Grove and Glenmont will operate every 24 minutes.
- Between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, additional trains will operate between Grosvenor and Fort Totten resulting in service every 10-12 minutes between those stations.
- Delays of at least 15 minutes are expected.
- Trains will single track between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly
- Throughout the weekend, Orange Line trains will operate every 20 minutes.
- Delays of at least 10 minutes are expected.
Blue Line – Saturday only
- Trains will single track between Franconia-Springfield and Van Dorn Street.
- Blue Line trains will operate every 20 minutes.
- Delays of at least 10 minutes are expected.
- Trains will single track between Greenbelt and College Park.
- Every other train will originate/terminate at College Park, rather than Greenbelt.
- Green Line trains will operate normally, at regular weekend intervals, between College Park and Branch Avenue.
Beltway construction update
The Virginia Department of Transportation is advising drivers to avoid the Capital Beltway near Telegraph Road and the Wilson Bridge this weekend due to construction closures.
The following closures will be in place from 9 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday:
- The ramps from both directions of U.S. Route 1 to the Inner Loop LOCAL lanes will be closed. Drivers will be directed to the THRU lanes.
- The Inner Loop LOCAL lanes will be narrowed to one lane between U.S. Route 1 and Telegraph Road.
- The Inner Loop exit ramp to Telegraph Road and Eisenhower Avenue will be closed. Motorists should use the Eisenhower Connector exit.
Overnight road work continues on both loops of the Capital Beltway between Interstate 66 and Georgetown Pike. Expect a minimum of two lanes getting by between 9:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.
After midnight, temporary total closures are possible for up to 30 minutes at a time. All lanes should reopen by 8 a.m.
Funeral for Prince George’s police officer
While no road closures have been scheduled, drivers in the Clinton and Temple Hills areas of Maryland and Bladensburg Road in D.C. should take into account that funeral arrangements, including the viewing, service, burial and repast, are scheduled for Saturday. For more details, visit the Prince George’s County police blog.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)