WASHINGTON - Those drinks you had last night might be all over your face the next morning.
Alcohol can damage the liver and also affect skin and complexion, Dr. David Colbert, founder of New York Dermatology Group, tells The Huffington Post.
"One way to look at it is to ask what does someone look like who is dying of liver failure? They're sallow, they're pasty, they're cold, their pores are huge," Colbert tells The Huffington Post.
Certain drinks can damage your skin in different ways, experts tell HuffPo. Here are what some alcoholic beverages can do:
- A clear shot, like vodka, gin or tequila, will go easier on your face. But only if you stick to one. Too many drinks can affect your skin and appearance.
- Mixed drinks, like mojitos and daiquiris, are loaded with sugar, which can mean inflammation and sallow skin.
- White wine contains sugar and salt, and can create bloating. Also, white wine can make you feel hungry.
- Beer has salt, although it's not dangerously high in sodium levels. Also, beer doesn't contain as much alcohol, and it does have antioxidants.
- Red wine has more antioxidants than white wine. But of course, moderation is the key.
Follow @WTOP on Twitter.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.