WASHINGTON - The ingredients in trail mix are known to be hit-or-miss -- usually nuts, raisins or some dried fruit.
However, for a passenger traveling Australian airline Qantas, maggots were truly unexpected.
Victoria Cleven of Australia was traveling from Los Angeles to Melbourne when she noticed her in-flight snack, provided by the airline, tasted strange.
"When I turned the light on and looked down I saw white stringy bits. Then I saw maggots crawling inside the pack," Cleven told Melbourne's 7News.
The maggot infestation wasn't limited to Cleven's food. Her 15-year-old son found maggots in two more packets of trail mix.
Sydney Biscuit Company, which makes the trail mix, says the airline is responsible and Cleven is currently negotiating with Qantas on monetary compensation. Unfortunately for Qantas, Cleven already captured the unsavory snack on video.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
Ed Koch planned every detail of his funeral - except one crucial date.
Winners and losers at the Daytime Emmys. (Photos)
A new gadget will let you know how active your dog is. (Video)
Miss Utah's 2nd chance at the pageant answer that went viral. (Video)