Comment
95
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Bowie man faces arson charges in fire where dogs rescued (Photos)

Saturday - 10/26/2013, 9:33am  ET

Otis (Courtesy of Prince Georges County Fire and EMS)
Otis, the Chihuahua, has not responded very well and may be experiencing the effects of smoke inhalation. (Courtesy of Prince Georges County Fire and EMS)
  • Gallery: (6 images)

WASHINGTON - A Bowie, Md. man faces arson charges for a Wednesday morning house fire where two Chihuahuas had to be saved.

Julian Martin Massiah of Bowie is charged with first- and second-degree arson for the fire at 12418 Sandal Lane.

Prince George's County Fire/EMS Chief Marc S. Bashoor credited the arrest by the fire marshal's office to the "around-the-clock investigation."

Massiah is being held on $150,000 bond.

While firefighters managed to revive the two dogs, both appear to be in declining health, the fire department says.

Mylo, the 3-year-old black Chihuahua, is suffering from eye irritation either from burns or debris.

Two-year-old Otis may be experiencing the effects of smoke inhalation and may not survive without the care of a veterinarian, according to the department.

The fire department says the family does not have the means to pay for a vet to examine the dogs, but the department is working with veterinary services to start treatment.

The public may be asked to help cover the costs, with more details expected from the fire department in the near future.

Related Story:

Follow @WTOP on Twitter.

© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

Tags: arson