The WTOP Charity of the Month for November is New Futures
Educational opportunities for rewarding careers
At New Futures, we envision a vibrant and equitable Washington, DC, region where every person has access to a valued path through higher education, opportunity to thrive in a fulfilling career, choice of where and how to live, and voice in our communities.
Who We Serve:
New Futures is on track to serve 270 young people in 2023.
A snapshot of our current Scholars:
- 100% come from households earning less than 80% of the Area Median Income
- 95% identify as Black or Latinx; 70% immigrant
- More than 90% are the first in their family to attend a postsecondary institution
Why We Serve:
The DC area has some of the greatest income disparities in the country among demographic groups. Our program puts Scholars on a path to in-demand careers that lead to financial security.
- $6.3+M awarded in scholarships
- 366 Alumni have earned 438 degrees
- 79% of alumni score at or above the medium-high level of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s Financial Well-Being Scale, an increase from 61% in 2020
- 86% success rate (percent of Scholars who persist in or complete their degree)
- 100% of surveyed Scholars said having a New Futures advisor improved their college experience
- 91% of graduates since 2017 agree or strongly agree that New Futures prepared them to enter the workforce.
- More than 50% of New Futures Scholars graduate with zero educational debt.
This Giving Tuesday, New Futures will launch its Scholar Success Campaign, with a goal to raise $300,000 by December 31st. We invite you to be a vital part of this campaign!
We know that when young people have equitable opportunities and access to resources, they are more likely to succeed in their academic and career pursuits. That’s why we make every effort to understand individual Scholars’ wants and needs, accommodating the full complexity of their lives. We don’t impose a singular narrative of success on our Scholars; instead, we ask, “What’s your dream and how can we help?”
Our Scholars tell us that one of the most significant benefits they receive from participating in our program is a sense of community and partnership. Your support helps us create communities that propel Scholars to their vision of success.
Learn more about our Scholars, get involved, and donate, at newfuturesdc.org.