The WTOP Charity of the Month is
Central Union Mission
Central Union Mission, a faith-based nonprofit organization, serves hungry, homeless and hurting people at five locations in the metro Washington area.
As a homelessness and poverty alleviation agency, the mission works to solve homelessness, not just offer comfort.
One life at a time, the mission works to help transform the area’s toughest rehabilitation cases — including drug addicts, gang members, criminal offenders and the chronically homeless — into productive citizens. Central Union has a strong record of success in helping people overcome addiction, homelessness, and achieve independent living.
- Emergency shelter with hot meals, showers and clean clothes
- Residential rehabilitation for men with life-controlling issues
- Transitional and low-cost housing
- Free food, clothing and household items to the needy
- GED prep, vocational support and English language instruction
- School readiness to provide supplies kids need to thrive academically
- Job training and work experience preparing for long-term job success
- Senior services, including low-income housing
- Summer camps for more than 350 under-privileged inner-city kids
Washington, D.C., has one of the nation’s largest homeless populations. But last year with the support of individuals, corporations and churches, Central Union provided:
- 3.6 million meals
- 58,889 nights of shelter
- 6,448 counseling sessions
- 1,770 medical exams
You can help
To a hungry and homeless person, one meal given with care can mark the first step toward real life changes. Just $2.09 provides a complete meal at Central Union and a chance for a new life. Your gift today,
- Fills an empty stomach
- Nourishes a hurting soul
- Helps change a life forever