Lottery officials say the Powerball jackpot for Saturday’s drawing has climbed to an estimated $625 million, which would be the seventh-largest lottery grand prize in U.S. history.
A look at the 10 largest U.S. jackpots that have been won and the states where the winning tickets were sold:
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket, South Carolina)
3. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
4. $687.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
5. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
6. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
7. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
8. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
9. $564.1 million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
10. $559.7 million, Powerball, Jan. 6, 2018 (one ticket, New Hampshire)
Sources: AP archives, www.megamillions.com and www.powerball.com
Copyright © 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
Get the latest news on Congress from WTOP Capitol Hill Correspondent Mitchell Miller. Read his latest articles and listen to his podcast.
Need a break? Play a quick game of solitaire or Sudoku. Or take one of our fun quizzes!