202.5

Suspect charged in Baby Hope death dies in custody

FILE - In this Oct. 12, 2013 Conrado Juarez waits to be arraigned at Manhattan Criminal Court in New York. An official told The New York Times that Juarez died in custody Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, at Montefiore Nyack Hospital following complications related to pancreatic cancer. The 57-year-old was awaiting trial for the last five years, charged in the 1991 murder of 4-year-old Angelica Castillo known as Baby Hope. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — A restaurant worker accused of killing a toddler known as Baby Hope, whose body was found in 1991 in New York City, has died in custody.

An official told The New York Times that Conrado Juarez died Sunday at Montefiore Nyack Hospital following complications related to pancreatic cancer.

State Correction Commission spokeswoman Janine Kava also confirmed his death.

The 57-year-old was awaiting trial for the last five years, charged in the murder of 4-year-old Angelica Castillo. The girl’s naked body was found in a cooler that had been left in a wooded area in upper Manhattan.

Prosecutors say she had been suffocated and molested. Her killing remained unsolved for more than two decades. Detectives named her Baby Hope.

Juarez’s lawyer, Michael J. Croce, declined to comment.

___

Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com

Copyright © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.



Advertiser Content