The Latest: FBI says suspicious mail to CNN neutralized

This frame grab from video provided by WPLG-TV shows FBI agents escorting Cesar Sayoc, in sleeveless shirt, in Miramar, Fla., on Friday, Oct. 26, 2018. Sayoc is an amateur body builder and former male stripper, a loner with a long arrest record who showed little interest in politics until Donald Trump came along. On Friday, he was identified by authorities as the Florida man who put pipe bombs in small manila envelopes, affixed six stamps and sent them to some of Donald Trump's most prominent critics. (WPLG-TV via AP)

MIAMI (AP) — The Latest on the series of package bombs sent to media offices and prominent people seen as critical of President Donald Trump (all times local):

4 p.m.

FBI spokesman Kevin Rowson says evidence collected in connection with a suspicious package addressed to CNN has been sent to the agency lab in Quantico, Virginia.

The FBI said a suspicious package found Monday morning at the postal facility just south of downtown Atlanta was addressed to CNN and was “similar in appearance” to other packages sent to prominent Democrats and other critics of President Donald Trump.

Atlanta is home to CNN’s world headquarters.

CNN President Jeff Zucker says all mail to CNN has been screened offsite since last week, when a series of package bombs began appearing around the country.

___

3 p.m.

Federal prosecutors want no bail for a man accused of sending pipe bombs to prominent Democrats around the country.

Prosecutors said at the initial court hearing Monday for 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc that they believe he is a risk of flight and a danger to the community. A judge will hold a hearing Friday on whether Sayoc can be released on bail.

Sayoc was arrested last Friday on five federal charges relating to the bombs sent to Democrats and other prominent critics of President Donald Trump. He has not yet entered a plea, but his lawyers say Sayoc is entitled to be presumed innocent at this stage.

Sayoc will be prosecuted in New York rather than Miami. Friday’s hearing will also involve when he would be removed to New York.

___

2 p.m.

A U.S. official says the man accused of sending pipe bombs to prominent Democrats had a list of elected officials and others who investigators believe were intended targets.

The official said investigators are scrutinizing the social media posts of 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, who is due to appear in federal court Monday. Sayoc is accused of sending explosive material to Democrats and other prominent critics of President Donald Trump.

The official said that investigators believe Sayoc made the explosives in his van and that authorities recovered soldering equipment, a printer, and stamps similar to those used on the package bombs.

The official wasn’t authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press.

___

Associated Press writer Michael Balsamo contributed from Washington.

___

1:15 p.m.

Atlanta police have reopened several streets as local and federal police probe a suspicious package found at a postal facility near the downtown area.

At noon Monday, a robot was being maneuvered outside the facility and about 100 feet (30 meters) from a row of U.S. mail trucks in the parking lot. An Atlanta Police Department bomb squad unit was parked at the entrance to the parking lot.

Federal agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service were investigating on the street just outside the postal facility’s parking lot.

The FBI has confirmed that the package recovered at the Atlanta facility was addressed to CNN.

___

12:45 p.m.

The FBI has confirmed that a suspicious package recovered at a post office in Atlanta was addressed to CNN and was “similar in appearance to others.”

The statement sent via the agency’s Twitter account confirms the announcement earlier in the day by CNN President Jeff Zucker, who said a suspicious parcel being sent to the network had been intercepted at an Atlanta post office.

Zucker says all mail to CNN has been screened offsite since last week, when a series of package bombs began appearing around the country. One of those bombs was mailed to CNN offices in New York.

The latest suspicious package comes just hours before a federal court hearing was to begin in Miami for 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, whom authorities accuse of sending explosive material to Democrats and other prominent critics of President Donald Trump.

___

11:10 a.m.

The FBI says its bomb squad in Atlanta is responding to “a suspicious package” at the U.S. Postal Service in downtown Atlanta.

Spokesman Kevin Rowson said via email that the agency had been notified by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service of a suspicious package that arrived at 400 Pryor Street in downtown Atlanta, which is the address of a post office.

The FBI did not identify to whom the package was addressed. But earlier in the day, CNN President Jeff Zucker announced that a suspicious package addressed to the cable television network was intercepted Monday at an Atlanta post office.

Zucker said there was no imminent danger to the CNN Center.

___

10:45 a.m.

CNN President Jeff Zucker says another suspicious package addressed to CNN was intercepted Monday at an Atlanta post office.

Zucker announced that there is no imminent danger to the CNN Center.

Atlanta Police have confirmed they responded to a suspicious package at a post office Monday morning.

He says all mail to CNN has been screened offsite since last week, when a series of package bombs began appearing around the country. One of those bombs was mailed to CNN offices in New York.

An initial hearing is set for Monday afternoon in Florida federal court for 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, who faces five federal charges. Sayoc was arrested Friday in Florida after investigators said they linked him to the packages through fingerprint and DNA evidence.

___

2:25 a.m.

The Florida man accused of sending packages containing explosive material to prominent Democrats and other opponents of President Donald Trump is due to make his first court appearance.

An initial hearing is set Monday afternoon in Florida federal court for 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, who faces five federal charges. Sayoc was arrested Friday in Florida after investigators said they identified him through fingerprint and DNA evidence.

Sayoc is being prosecuted in New York, so his Florida hearing will likely be brief and process-oriented. The main issue will be whether he waives extradition to New York and whether he seeks release on bail.

Authorities say Sayoc faces more than 50 years in prison if convicted on all charges related to pipe bombs sent to political figures across the country.

Copyright © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.



Advertiser Content