Officials: 2 swimmers exposed to toxic gas in Md., hospitalized

WEST OCEAN CITY, Md. — Officials say a woman and 6-year-old girl were taken to a hospital after they were exposed to a toxic gas while swimming at an indoor pool in West Ocean City.

News outlets report that the Worcester County Fire Marshal’s Office said firefighter paramedics responded to the Francis Scott Key Family Resort on Thursday afternoon and found the girl and a 41-year-old woman complaining of severe difficulty breathing.

They were flown to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

The fire marshal’s office says during routine maintenance, muriatic acid and chlorine were accidentally released, forming a toxic gas that was discharged into the pool where the woman and child were swimming.

The pool was closed indefinitely.

Copyright © 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Related Categories:

Local News | Maryland News

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up