202.5

The Latest: Saudi prince gets warm welcome in Egypt

Activists stage a protest in downtown Tunis, Tunisia, on the eve of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's official visit to Tunisia, to denounce the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Monday, Nov. 26, 2018. (AP Photo/Hassene Dridi)

BERLIN (AP) — The Latest on the slaying of journalist Jamal Khashoggi (all times local):

12:25 p.m.

Egypt’s president and Saudi Arabia’s crown prince have held talks in Cairo, the latest stop on Mohammed bin Salman’s first foreign tour since the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The prince arrived and was met at the airport by President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, a close ally and recipient of generous Saudi aid, on Monday evening.

The two held talks on Tuesday before the king continued on to Tunisia.

El-Sissi has supported Riyadh over last month’s killing and dismembering of Khashoggi in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, saying the media played a “negative role” in the case and warning against destabilizing Saudi Arabia.

Before Egypt, Prince Mohammed had visited the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain as part of his tour and will travel to Tunisia before heading to Argentina for the Group of 20 summit Nov. 30.

___

10:10 a.m.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is encountering public anger in Tunisia over the killing of writer Jamal Khashoggi.

Dozens of protesters gathered in central Tunis on Monday night to protest the prince’s arrival Tuesday for talks with the Tunisian president.

President Beji Caid Essebsi’s office said Tunisia denounces the journalist’s killing and wants a full investigation, but doesn’t want the killing to be used to destabilize Saudi Arabia.

Amid suspicions of the prince’s involvement in Khashoggi’s death, a Tunisian lawyer’s group tried to seek a court order blocking his visit. The Tunisian journalists’ union sent a letter to the president calling it an “attack on the principles” of the 2011 revolution that brought democracy and freedom of expression to Tunisia.

The crown prince heads to a Group of 20 summit in Argentina this week amid international pressure over the killing.

___

9:15 a.m.

Turkey’s foreign minister says he has listened to a “disgusting” tape that allegedly captures the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi agents at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul.

Mevlut Cavusoglu told German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung on Tuesday, “I listened to it. He was killed within seven minutes. It was a deliberate murder.”

Cavusoglu said he could hear the forensic doctor instructing others to listen to music while he cuts up the body.

He said: “One notices that he’s enjoying it … he likes to cut up people. It is disgusting.”

Turkey says Khashoggi, who wrote for The Washington Post, was killed last month by a 15-member assassination squad sent from Riyadh. Ankara insists orders for the killing came from the highest levels of the Saudi government, but not King Salman.

Copyright © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.



Advertiser Content