202.5

Officials: House fire in Washington displaces family of 14

WASHINGTON (AP) — Officials say a house fire in Washington, D.C. has displaced 14 people.

The district’s firefighters tell news outlets no one was injured in the blaze Thursday night.

Fire department spokesman Vito Maggiolo says the fire was accidental and caused by something electrical. He says it started on the second floor and in the attic and that neither area appeared to have working smoke detectors.

Maggiolo says that considering the number of people in the home, it could have been more a more tragic situation if the fire happened later at night.

The 14 are part of an extended family and being assisted by the Red Cross.

Copyright © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.



Advertiser Content