Bomb scare pauses flights for hours at Kenya’s main airport

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Kenya’s flagship airline and officials say a passenger reported a bomb threat that led to flights being grounded at the country’s main airport for hours.

Kenya Airways said in a statement Wednesday the threat was reported on a flight departing from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi for Johannesburg.

No bomb was found. Airline spokesman Dennis Kashero says the passenger who reported the threat has been taken into police custody.

The airline says the temporary shutdown that lasted nearly three hours has been lifted. It did not say how many flights were affected.

Last month flights were grounded for hours at the Nairobi airport after workers with the Kenya Airports Authority went on strike. A court suspended the strike.

Copyright © 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

More from:

Africa News World News

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up