The Associated Press
Top drug cartel captures or killings in recent years in Mexico:
– Oct. 9, 2014: Mexican officials confirm arrest of Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, purported leader of Juarez cartel.
– Oct. 1, 2014: Mexico announces capture of Hector Beltran Leyva, alleged head of the Beltran Leyva cartel. Authorities say Beltran Leyva, alias “The H” and “The Engineer,” assumed leadership of the group after his brother Arturo was killed in gunbattle with troops in 2009.
– Feb. 22, 2014: Mexican and U.S. officials catch the world’s most powerful drug lord, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, in the Pacific beach resort of Mazatlan.
– July 15, 2013: Miguel Angel Trevino Morales, alias “Z-40,” alleged leader of the brutal Zetas cartel, is captured in northern Mexico.
– Oct. 7, 2012: Mexican marines kill Heriberto Lazcano Lazcano, alias “El Lazca,” a founder and top leader of the Zetas. His body is later stolen from a funeral home. Trevino Morales takes over the Zetas.
– Oct. 6, 2012: Marines arrest alleged Zetas regional leader Salvador Alfonso Martinez Escobedo, suspected of involvement in massacres and the killing of U.S. citizen David Hartley in 2010 on Falcon Lake, which straddles Mexico’s border with Texas.
– Sept. 12, 2012: Marines capture purported top leader of the Gulf Cartel, Jorge Eduardo Costilla Sanchez, alias “El Coss.”
– Dec. 9, 2010: Authorities say Federal Police officers kill Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, leader of the La Familia Michoacana cartel, during a gunfight in the village of El Alcalde. His body is never recovered, and rumors persist that Moreno, known as “the Craziest One,” is still alive.
– July 29, 2010: Mexican soldiers raid a house in the town of Zapopan and kill Ignacio “Nacho” Coronel, one of the top leaders of the Sinaloa Cartel.
– Dec. 16, 2009: Marines kill Arturo Beltran Leyva, leader of the Beltran Leyva cartel, in a shootout in the resort city of Cuernavaca, south of Mexico City.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.