Spanish EU candidate says sorry for sexist remark

MADRID (AP) — The main European Parliament candidate representing Spain’s ruling Popular Party has apologized for a recent sexist remark he made that roused much criticism and could damage his chances of topping the vote.

Miguel Arias Canete said last week that he had felt restrained during a debate with leading opposition Socialist candidate Elena Valencia because “a debate between a man and woman is very complicated, because if you abuse your intellectual superiority you look like a male chauvinist cornering a defenseless woman.”

On Wednesday, Canete told Cope radio that he had expressed himself badly, was not sexist and had not meant to offend anyone.

Pre-debate polls showed the Popular Party had a narrow lead over the Socialists in Spain ahead of Sunday’s vote for the European Parliament.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Advertiser Content