- Katherine K. Hanley Family Shelter, 12970 Katherine Hanley Court, Fairfax; 571-522-6800
- Embry Rucker Community Shelter, 11975 Bowman Towne Drive, Reston; 703-437-1975
- Shelter House, 3080 Patrick Henry Drive, Falls Church 703-536-2155
- Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter, 3525 Moncure Ave., Bailey’s Crossroads 703-820-7621
- Eleanor U. Kennedy Shelter, 9155 Richmond Highway, Fort Belvoir 703-799-0200
- Embry Rucker Community Shelter, 11975 Bowman Towne Drive, Reston 703-437-1975
2049 N. 15th St., 703-228-1300
Open 4 p.m. – 9 a.m., 74 people. Open through March 31
19520 Meadowview Court SE, Leesburg
The Transitional Housing Shelter is an eight-unit facility that provides housing and supportive services for up to six homeless families (including single parents with children) and four single women.
Prince William County
14730 Potomac Mills Rd., Woodbridge, 703-897-0199. 6:30 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Osbourn High School, 7005 Tudor Lane, will open as a warming shelter.
- The Charles Barrett center, at 1115 Martha Custis Drive, is open 2-6 p.m.
- The Charles Houston center, at 901 Wythe St., is open 9-9.
- The Cora Kelly center, at 25 West Reed Ave., is open 9-9.
- The Durant Arts Center, at 1605 Cameron St., is open 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Lee Center, at 1108 Jefferson St., is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Mount Vernon center, at 2701 Commonwealth Ave., is open 9-9.
- The Patrick Henry center, at 4643 Taney Ave., is open 2:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- The William Ramsay center, at 5650 Sanger Ave., is open 9-9.
Prince George’s County
- Southern Regional Technology and Recreation Complex, 7007 Brock Rd., in Fort Washington
- Suitland Community Park School Center, 5600 Regency Lane, Forestville
- South Bowie Community Center Park, 1717 Pittsfield Lane, Bowie
- Seat Pleasant Activity Center, 5720 Addison Rd., Seat Pleasant
- Kentland Community Center Park, 2411 Pinebrook Ave., Landover (Open through Thursday, Jan. 23)
- Deerfield Run Community Center, 13000 Laurel-Bowie Rd., Laurel
- Capital Clubhouse, 3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf Open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Department of Community Services, 8190 Port Tobacco Rd., Port Tobacco Open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
People can also take shelter at all library branches, which are open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.:
- La Plata Branch, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata
- P.D. Brown Memorial Branch, 50 Village St., Waldorf
- Potomac Branch, 3225 Ruth B. Swan Drive, Indian Head
- Waldorf West, 10405 O’Donnell Place, Waldorf
If you need a warming shelter or know of someone in need of shelter after 7 p.m., call the Charles County Sheriff’s Department at 301-932-2222.
Anne Arundel County
Residents can call the transportation program at 410-222-4826.
- Arundel Christian Church, 710 Aquahart Rd., Glen Burnie;
- John Wesley United Methodist Church, 6922 Ritchie Hwy., Glen Burnie;
- Bay Ridge Christian Church, 1071 Bay Ridge Rd., Annapolis;
- Lighthouse Shelter, 10 Hudson St., Annapolis
Open 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m:
- Annapolis Senior Center, 119 South Villa Ave., Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center, 44 Church Rd., Arnold
- O’Malley Senior Center, 1275 Odenton Rd., Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center, 4103 Mountain Rd., Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center, 125 Dorsey Rd., Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center, 22 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
County police district stations are open for those who need a warm spot:
- Northern District – 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District – 3700 Mountain Rd., Pasadena
- Western District – 8273 Telegraph Rd., Odenton
- Southern District – 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
St. Mary’s County
- Garvey Senior Activity Center, 41780 Baldridge St., Leonardtown, open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Loffler Senior Activity Center, 21905 Chancellor’s Run Rd., Great Mills, open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Northern Senior Activity Center, 29655 Charlotte Hall Rd., Charlotte Hall, open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Charlotte Hall Library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall, open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Leonardtown Library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown, open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Lexington Park Library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park, open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Northeast Community Center, at 4075 Gordon Stinnett Avenue in Chesapeake Beach, is open Sunday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday- Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- The Mount Hope Community Center, at 100 Pushaw Station Road in Sunderland, is open Monday-Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.
- The Southern Community Center, at 20 Appeal Lane in Lusby, is open Monday- Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center, at 130 Auto Drive in Prince Frederick, is open Monday-Friday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The Calvert County government also wants to make sure people know about the Safe Nights Program, which provides winter shelter, including a warm bed and three nutritious meals (breakfast, a bag lunch and dinner).
The shelter is open from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., seven days a week. Walk-ins are not accepted. Call 443-486-8670 or e-mail email@example.com for more information or to make an appointment to register.
Libraries will be available as warming centers during regular business hours. The Bel Air branch is open Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; all other branches of the are open to the public from 1 to 8 p.m.
- Aberdeen, 21 Franklin St.
- Abingdon, 2510 Tollgate Rd.
- Bel Air, 100 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
- Darlington, 1134 Main St.
- Edgewood, 629 Edgewood Rd.
- Fallston, 1461 Fallston Rd.
- Havre de Grace, 120 N. Union Ave.
- Jarrettsville, 3722 Norrisville Rd.
- Joppa, 655 Towne Center Drive
- Norrisville, 5310 Norrisville Rd.
- Whiteford, 2407 Whiteford Rd.
Emergency shelters will continue through Thursday, Jan. 23, at 7:00 a.m. or until the Cold Emergency Alert is deactivated by the District’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA). To request transport to shelter for people in the District who are homeless and on the street now, call the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252, 202-399-7093, or 311. All locations are accessible.
- 801 East Shelter, 801 Making Life Better Lane SE
- Adams Place Shelter, 2210 Adams Place NE
- New York Avenue Shelter, 1355-57 New York Ave. NE
- DC General Building 9, Harriet Tubman, 1900 Massachusetts Ave. SE
- John Young, 117 D St. NW
- Nativity Shelter (formerly Hermano Pedro Shelter), 6010 Georgia Ave. NW
- Open Door, 425 2nd St. NW (at E Street)
Warming Buses can be found at the following locations:
- 5th and C Streets NW
- Union Station (Massachusetts Avenue NE, directly in front of the building)
- 17th and H Streets NW
- West End Library, 23rd and L Street NW
- 27th and K Streets NW
Follow @WTOP on Twitter.