WASHINGTON – Getting sick while on vacation isn’t the ideal situation. But with unfamiliar foods and time zone changes, sometimes it can’t be helped.
But there are some ways to prevent stomach trouble from ruining an otherwise wonderful vacation, according to the Wall Street Journal.
- Eat fiber, but not too much or it can cause bloating.
- Certain types of foods can help with stomach trouble. Probiotic yogurt and spicy foods can help with increased bowel function.
- Rigorous exercise, like running instead of walking, can keep travelers regular.
- Don’t overdue it with the coffee. While it helps jump start some people’s mornings, it can also cause dehydration.
- Mineral oil isn’t recommended. When taken by younger or older people, it can cause respiratory inflammation.
- If a laxative is needed, try something like Milk of Magnesia. It allows more control of the dosage.
WTOP’s Veronica Robinson contributed to this report. Follow @VRobWTOP and @WTOP on Twitter.