Marine accused of threatening co-workers cleared of charges

UPDATE – Thursday – 4/11/2013, 6:30 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON – ABC7 reports a Marine accused of threatening his co-workers at Marine Corps Base Quantico has been cleared of all charges against him.

The allegations against Sgt. Edward Cunningham were not substantiated, a staff judge advocate found. ABC7 says Cunningham was released Tuesday.

EARLIER – Friday – 4/5/2013

WASHINGTON – Just two weeks after a shooting that left three Marines dead at Quantico, another Marine faces a court martial after allegedly threatening his co- workers at the base.

ABC7 reports that Sgt. Edward C. Cunningham, 31, was taken to the Rappahannock Regional Jail Thursday to await his military trial.

Lt. Agustin Solivan tells ABC7 that Cunningham was sent for a behavioral health screening after he made verbal threats to others last week. He was cleared to return to work after officials determined that he posed no threat to the base.

But his co-workers did not feel safe and his behavior continued unchanged, Solivan says.

The case remains under investigation, ABC 7 reports.

Jail records say Cunningham is being held without bail on a federal misdemeanor charge.

The base implemented mandatory anti-violence training for all military members and Defense Department personnel stationed at the base in Prince William County after the double murder-suicide. Sgt. Eusebio Lopez, 25, gunned down 19-year-old Lance Cpl. Sara Castromata and Cpl. Jacob Wooley, 23, before killing himself inside the barracks at the base March 22.

Related Stories:

Follow @WTOP on Twitter.


Advertiser Content