2 arrested in Fort Washington gang shooting

WASHINGTON – Prince George’s police have arrested two teen boys and are looking for a third suspect in the gang-related shooting of Marcus Jones after a weekend house party in Fort Washington, Md.

Akil Darnell Ings, 17, of the 3800 block of Saint Barnabas Road in Suitland, and Kquantae Markies Fisher, 19, of the 6100 block of Kildare Court in Fort Washington, both face charges of first and second degree murder.

Police identified Ings as the gunman. He is currently being held in D.C. and is awaiting extradition to Prince George’s County. Fisher is being held without bond in the Prince George’s County Jail.

News of the arrests comes less than a day after police pleaded with parents and students to come forward with information about the fatal shooting during a community meeting at Friendly High School, where Jones attended. The shooting prompted school officials to make counselors available to students.

“Witness accounts and Crime Solvers tips played a big role in this case,” Police Chief Mark McGaw said during a Thursday afternoon press conference held to announce the two arrests. And police are asking for more help to identify the third suspect.

Investigators described that third suspect as a black male in his early to late teens, with a medium build and complexion. Police provided little information about his involvement.

“Akil Darnell Ings and Kquantae Markies Fisher are affiliated with a local gang. Marcus Jones was also affiliated with a different local gang, and we believe that these gang associations played a part in this tragic murder,” McGaw said.

Investigators believe that rival gang members attended the birthday party on Webster Lane in Fort Washington Saturday night and early Sunday morning. As tensions escalated, additional gang members were called to the party, police say.

When Ings, Fisher, and the third suspect arrived, they approached a group gathered outside, which included 16-year-old Jones.

Police say Ings pulled out a gun and shot Jones, but investigators don’t know whether Jones was targeted.

Officers recovered a gun at the scene, which is undergoing ballistic tests to determine if it was used to kill Jones, McGaw said.

Police say the house party for a teen girl was carefully planned by her parents. Only certain kids from Friendly High were invited, and they had to show ID at the door to enter.

Despite the adults’ efforts to keep the party under control, word of the celebration spread. Jones was shot early Sunday morning after he had left the party.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the Prince George’s County Police Department’s Homicide Unit at 301-772-4925. Callers wishing to remain anonymous may call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477), or text PGPD plus your message to CRIMES (274637) or visit princegeorgescountymd.gov/police and submit a tip online.

Related stories:

WTOP’s Michelle Basch contributed to this report. Follow @mbaschwtop and @WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2013 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertiser Content