Probe continues into alleged theft from D.C. councilman’s campaign

Mark Segraves, wtop.com

WASHINGTON – Police continue to investigate allegations by D.C. Councilmember Michael Brown that more than $100,000 was stolen from his re-election campaign, but so far do not have enough evidence to charge anyone with a crime.

D.C. police Chief Cathy Lanier says the investigation is ongoing.

“The allegation is that money was taken, that’s what’s under investigation. Until we have substantial information to support that, there’s not going to be charges brought,” Lanier said on WTOP’s “Ask the Chief” program.

Lanier said her department and the U.S Attorney’s Office are looking into the allegations. Campaign finance reports show Hakim Sutton, Brown’s former campaign treasurer, cashed 34 checks totaling $113,950 – the exact amount Brown says is missing.

Sutton’s attorney has said the payments were authorized by Brown. Brown’s spokesperson has denied that charge.

Lanier pushed back when asked if the investigation was being delayed because of the upcoming election.

“We don’t determine the speed of investigations,” she said. “There is an investigative process that involves a lot more than the Metropolitan Police Department and we’re not going to rush or drag our feet on any case for anybody else’s purposes.”

Brown is up for re-election on the Nov. 6 ballot.

“We’re not going to speed it up because reporters want to know,” Lanier said. “We’re not going to slow it down because somebody doesn’t want to impact an election.”

Follow Mark Segraves and WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)


Advertiser Content