Comment
0
Tweet
1
Print
RSS Feeds

Baseboard heater blamed for fatal Md. fire

Monday - 2/25/2013, 9:30pm  ET

MYERSVILLE, Md. (AP) -- Fire officials say a blaze that killed two young sisters last month was accidentally ignited when drapes came in contact with a baseboard heater.

The Frederick County Sheriff's Office said Monday that investigators found that the heater, in the first-floor living room, was behind a couch and came in contact with drapes.

The Jan. 31 fire in Myersville killed 6-year-old Sophie Paige Lillard and 3-year-old Madigan Grace Lillard. Four other family members were injured.

The News-Post of Frederick reports (http://bit.ly/Wny3OG) that investigators found that smoke detectors in the home did not work in the fire.

___

Information from: The Frederick (Md.) News-Post, http://www.fredericknewspost.com


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.